Tuesday, May 3, 2011

What is a blacksmith?

A blacksmith is a craftsman who shapes and fabricates objects from iron or steel by the process of forging. Forging simply means heating the material to the point of plasticity, and forming it by hammering it into shape. The term, blacksmith, refers to the color of the material he works with.
I am a blacksmith. I also work with other metals, mostly as accents to the forged steel that I produce. I have applied bronze, copper, stainless steel, even gold leaf to elements of my work, that's why I like the title of "metalsmith".
With this blog, I will attempt to outline some of my methods, share my experiences, describe some of my design philosophy, and discuss past and current projects.
Thanks for looking, and please come back every now and then, I will try to keep it interesting!

No comments:

Post a Comment